Overview of tasks for installing and implementing the NEMSIS code set
Below is a high-level list of the tasks you will perform when installing and implementing the NEMSIS code set. Detailed steps for performing each of the tasks below follow this list.
Warning: Do not attempt the installation and implementation without the detailed steps on the following pages.
Tip: Print off this page of this file and use it as a checklist as you complete each of the steps.
- Run FH Database Tools to compact database and rebuild database index files.
- Back up your FIREHOUSE Software database.
- Decide whether to map existing codes or replace your code set with the NEMSIS code set.
Do one of the following:
- Map your existing EMS codes to the NEMSIS code set.
- Replace your existing EMS codes with the NEMSIS code set.
- Configure NEMSIS export options and medical devices class codes.
- (If you mapped your existing EMS codes) Add or update codes to lookup tables.
- Update EMS service numbers.
- Update city codes.
- Update unit codes.
- Update station codes.
- Update destination facilities codes.
- Update medication codes.
- Update procedure codes.
- Update protocols used codes.
- (If you mapped your existing EMS codes) Resolve invalid structures.
- Set up staff member information.
- Add additional user fields.
- Install NEMSIS export utilities.
- Verify the NEMSIS configuration.
- (If necessary) Correct unit codes associated with multiple inventory item.
- Export NEMSIS data for state and national reporting.